Pages

Wednesday 5 November 2014

Ely Cathedral

I did promise you more on Ely Cathedral a while ago but as you may have gathered from the paucity of recent posts (and apologies to those whose blogs I follow for the lack of comments) things have been a little fraught here recently. I'm not sure things will improve before the New Year however I really wanted to share Ely with you.

For a much better history of the building then look here but briefly Etheldreda (later Saint) founded a Christian community at Ely in 673AD. For centuries her shrine was visited by medieval pilgrims and the present cathedral was started in the 11th century.

Saint Etheldreda
I usually take a small camera about with me as it fits nicely in my pocket but sadly it does not do justice to a buiding on this scale so I've tried to capture the feel of the cathedral with more detailed shots, although I couldn't resist adding in some panoramic views to give you a sense of scale. I hope you enjoy this pictorial visit.

Andrew in admiration


Ceiling detail









Detail from a tomb


Repainted in the original colours - it would have been stunning

Tomb detail

Weeping cherub

The Victorian heating system still works



"Encounter" by David Wynne
 The cathedral has several pieces of modern sculpture which contrast beautifully with the ancient building. The one pictured above is of a distraught Mary Magdalene meeting Jesus on the morning of his resurrection and failing to recognise him.


This section of floor dates back to the 1320's



The cathedral also houses a wonderful stained glass museum with pieces spanning the centuries.






6 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful virtual visit to one of the few English cathedrals I've never visited. It's so hard to imagine them richly painted as they would have been then: that glimpse you gave us is very tantalising. This looks a particularly rewarding cathedral in which to gaze upwards. Thanks for taking me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It is one of my favourite places and I've only shown a small part. It looks like your visit to Norfolk will have to involve a weekend with us - not just a coffee stop :-)

      Delete
  2. Really lovely photos, Sharon. I love Ely cathedral. Hope life improves for you soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kalba - Ely is just a lovely city and is certainly somewhere I would consider living. As far as life at the moment I just have to slap myself every now and again with a wet kipper and remember how good our life is.

      Delete
  3. The details are amazing! I love the stone face, he's a funny little guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a wonderful place. Trust you - It think he was meant to scare you - a bit like a Nazi zombie might…:-)

    ReplyDelete