Pages

Thursday 5 June 2014

Giant hogweed

Our orchard dog walk takes us past a patch of giant hogweed (heracleum mantegazzianum) which I love. Introduced in the 19th century as an ornamental plant they are a relative of the more delicate cow parsely. I think it's the scale and architectural quality of them I like, Andrew kindly posed for me last Sunday and whilst he is 6'2" they tower above him.


Giant hogweed
Sadly many gardeners get rid of them because they can be nasty beasts. If you ge the sap on your skin which is then exposed to sunlight they can cause quite serious blisters. So best admired from afar.




5 comments:

  1. I like it's fluffy white flowers, it's pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just think of the size of vase I'd need!

      Delete
  2. It might be statuesque and handsome, but I dislike it because of its tendency to overpower slighter, native species. I'm beginnning to limber up for my annual hate campaign against Himalayan balsam too, which sadly was beginning to invade our little corner of France which HAD been mercifully free of it till recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, I know, I also love our lane in May when the cow parsley is in full flower and the verges are just full of froth but…the hogweed does look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humph. Unconvinced.

    ReplyDelete