Pages

Thursday 3 April 2014

The Shirt Project

No this isn't the post I mentioned last time, that's still not finished. This one is to spur me on to finish another project!

Way back when, Andrew used to work in a real office and meet clients on a daily basis, which meant he had to wear a proper shirt and smart trousers. Now he could work all day in pyjamas and no one would know...

Anyway, over time the shirts would fade and collars & cuffs fray but I hated to throw them as there is nothing like the feel of well washed,worn cotton and linen. At the time I used to do a lot of quilting and had the idea of making a shirt quilt. Roll forward a decade and a half and I still have the unfinished project. Part of the decluttering plan made at the beginning of the year was to finish a number of projects and this was a good start. I dragged the pieced pieces out from a drawer under the bed and had a good look, coming to the conclusion that I probably didn't need another quilt (not sure I should have put that thought out into the world - I may regret it). But I could do with some cushion covers for a couple of Lloyd Loom chairs we have and it would use some of my fabric collection up, also assisting the declutter process.

So this is where we are now, and before you say anything I was deliberately aiming for a vintage, handmade look which is why the squares are uneven size and don't line up.


Pieced shirt squares
So I'm now committed to the project. It will get finished,

Meanwhile an update on the bedroom which is making steady but oh so slow progress. My easy 'it will be done by Easter' deadline is beginning to look decidely shaky.

Andrew finished plastering the walls and ceiling.

Plastering finished

Then fixed the picture rail and skirting boards so I could start painting.


Undercoat
Hopefully next time I'll have something that's finished to share!

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous new life for old shirts. And I've just finished a book in which quilting forms the (fascinating) background to the plot, which is about the help that Quakers in America gave to runaway slaves in 1850s America. It's Tracy Chevalier's 'The Last Runaway'. Do you know it? Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quilt, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now I've got it out again I'm wondering if I should finish it as a quilt and not cushions after all...

      Delete